Solo RPG Actual Plays I Love (and Why)

Solo Actual Plays I Love 

Solo RPGs are such a fantastic way to explore your own creativity and share that with the world, as I do on this blog. Some of these creators make such great work, I just can't help but love it. Below is a list of Solo RPGs I love. This is certainly not an exhaustive list and is just my opinion. If you are a creator, share your stuff with me! I'd love to update this post or make a new one with new actual plays I love.

And if you'd like to see my take on solo actual plays, take a look at my current The One Ring campaign set in the Lord of the Rings world

I always look this cool when I listen to Solo RPG actual play podcasts. Photo by Jusdevoyage on Unsplash

Podcast Actual Play I Love - Tale of the Manticore

Wow. This is not only one of the best examples of a solo RPG actual play but is also one of the best audio drama podcasts I listen to. It's a perfect blend of play and storytelling, where even the creator doesn't know which character will die next, and they will die. 

Tale of the Manticore is dark and brutal, based on old-school DnD where any encounter could spell the death of a main character. As the author says, there is no plot armour here. 

Season one was recently wrapped up so it is a great time to jump in and binge-listen to it. Each episode is about 35ish minutes long and is filled with great voice acting, audio effects, and writing. 

Try out an episode! You won't be disappointed. 

Podcast Feed           Blog          Twitter 

Other Great Podcast Actual Play - Errant Adventures

Another great Actual play podcast I highly recommend. Season 1 uses Ironsworn: Starforged and is a great example of the creative energy that system can generate. 

Blog        Twitter

Video Actual Play I Love - Me, Myself and Die

Trevor Devall is a force of nature on his YouTube Channel. A professional voice actor who has a ton of passion for his games, Trevor never disappoints. Me, Myself, and Die is now on its third season, but it is Season 2 that really shines in my opinion. Using  Ironsworn, Trevor tells an incredible story about the Ironlands that I highly recommend. 

Trevor is fantastic at explaining the rules, showing how they work, and developing interesting characters. He often uses different books and oracles in his game, so you get to see books you wouldn't normally see. 

His camera work is fun and he uses tons of miniatures, which keep the game interesting and engaging to watch. 

Youtube Channel       Twitter

Written Actual Play I Love - PTFO

PTFO (Play to Find Out) is a written RPG that releases new chapters every week. The PTFO is currently playing Stonetop, which is a really cool setting focusing on an iron age settlement in a low fantasy world. PTFO does a great job bringing it all to life. The characters are well fleshed out and their relationships with each other are interesting. The town of Stonetop is also featured and you can read how it grows and evolves with the story.

The weekly chapters are meaty and make an excellent read on a Sunday morning. Check out the story, but I recommend starting at the very beginning. 

Table of Content's.      Twitter


Again, this is just my list right now and I've still discovering new and fun Actual Plays daily. I'd love to read, watch, and listen to more. So if your creating a new solo actual play or know of one, drop it in the comments!

- Croaker


Comments